TO BE FORE- WARNED IS TO BE READILY PREPARED.
A recent post trending within Online media on security consciousness , is an advocate call for Nigerians to consciously shine their eyes, remain alert, and always scrutinize those around them. Security and Crime trend analysts revealed that, those behind Kidnappings are persons with the family circles, unpatriotic security agents, security guards, some strange friends close to the Kidnap victims , or strange persons within a particular neighborhood monitoring residents.
The Security pundits aver that kidnappers have informants in your neighborhood, so you have to protect yourself and family. With the way kidnapping activities are spreading across the country, it is important to take self precautions at all times. It is no longer a surprise that those apprehended for committing these dastard act against humanity are often the unexpected persons , directly or indirectly known to the victims. Recently, according the security Awareness analysts unveiled that, “Just of resent it was discovered that one of the killers of the Kaduna state Doctor’s wife, was a Police officer who was familiar with the Doctor’s family. The police officer was identified by the late woman’s daughter, who was kidnapped alongside her mother in Kaduna before the mother was killed. While Nigerians were yet to finish digesting the news, another report came up of an oil mogul, who’s mother was kidnapped. According to report, Shema’s mother was kidnapped and the kidnappers demanded for 100 million naira as ransom. After tough negotiations, 20 million naira was agreed upon as ransom but the kidnappers gave condition that the ransom must be in mint notes. Shema approach CBN, and got the mint note to the tune of 20million; Serially arranged. He then delivered the money to the kidnappers and secure his mother’s release. But before doing that he approached all neighbouring banks and requested them to report anyone who comes in to deposit money having the serial number associated with the notes. Behold! The first person to be arrested was a police inspector. Another lieutenant in the military was arrested. Upon investigation, the arrested officers confessed that an assistant commissioner of police was also involved. Pressed further, a top brass in the security was fingered. Shema threatened to go to press, but he was prevailed upon not to. His money was returned Intact. With this type of scary stories, one really has to be careful with even your neighbourhood, because those you trusted could turn out to be the one to hurt you the most.
Nearly, all the security agencies, have had some of their unpatriotic personnel’s involved or behind some of these ugly Kidnap activities saga.
They therefore, advised that the only way to be your brother’s keeper in Nigeria of today is by sharing any security tips that can be of help. We wish to share with you, some few security tips to guard your daily activities henceforth because the current state of insecurity in the country is really alarming. The only person to trust now in this country is yourself and your unborn baby. Therefore, to avoid being a victim of kidnapping, please read the following 15 tips and share with your loved ones now to save them from harm.
- Never use car stickers that says where you work, especially if you have a prestigious job.
- Never share pictures of your kids in their school uniforms or badges. Protect your kids.
- When you attend parties, don’t let the band get you so high that you start spraying money like no man’s business, use an envelope.
- Don’t be the one that tries to empty the ATM machine by making large withdrawals …You don’t need 50k in your wallet to feel like a man.
- Always delete your bank transaction notifications, especially SMS…you really can memorize your bank balance….Shred your POS/ATM receipts.
- Don’t go jogging while it’s dark, you really should be smarter than that. If you can, get someone trusted as company.
- Always lock your doors, even if you’re only going out to switch off your generator.
- NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER WEAR YOUR ID outside your work place. No one needs to know where you work.
- Be accountable to your spouse or parents, let someone know where you are at every point.
- As much as you can, don’t send kids alone on errand outside your house, they are soft targets.
- Don’t try to show you are the richest in the neighborhood by making large donations in your estate meetings, learn modesty.
- When you give, give with modesty and privately, learn to say “I can’t spare that amount now”.
- Don’t stay late in your office long after closing hours. That deadline work can be done at home.
Tip 14. Make safety the number one factor in your decision always.
- Mind what you post about yourself on social media. God will keep and protect you as you also apply discretion.
By Charles Edet